From Science Europe Data Glossary
Definition: data literacy is the ability to read, interpret, create and communicate data as information.
Explanation: data literacy focuses on the ability to build knowledge from data, and to communicate that meaning to others. Data literacy includes:
- understanding what data mean, including how to read graphs and charts appropriately, draw correct conclusions from data, and recognize when data are being used in misleading or inappropriate ways;
- the ability to formulate and answer questions using data as part of evidence-based thinking; to use appropriate data, tools, and representations to support this thinking;
- to interpret information from data;
- to develop and evaluate data-based inferences and explanations;
- to use data to solve real problems and communicate their solutions;
- competence in finding, manipulating, managing, and interpreting data, including not just numbers but also text and images.